Sunday, August 11, 2013

Liverpool Target Sakho Considers Move Away From PSG

Liverpool has been given hope in their pursuit of Mamadou Sakho with the defender admitting he may need a move away from PSG to resurrect his international career.

Reports in France suggest that Sakho is considering his future in the French capital after missing out on Didier Deschamps' squad to face Belguim.

According to L'Equipe Sakho has been stung by comments from Deschamps about why he was overlooked in favour of Monaco's 33-year-old Eric Abidal and is now ready to contemplate a transfer.

Asked about Sakho, Deschamps said: "This is life. This is his career. He had a choice to make and apparently he made it. I do not know if everyone understands [why he was overlooked] but he does. His choice is PSG."

"He returned a little later because he went with us [to the Confederations Cup]. Since then he has played twice, 60 minutes.

"He did not play the Champions Trophy. I do not know if he will play Friday against Montpellier. They know [they will not be selected if they are not playing].

"They make a choice. After all, it is their career. They have people who are there to guide them.

"In his situation it comes down to the fact that he has to be selectable to be selected."

Liverpool and AC Milan have both been linked with a move for Sakho but the player previously expressed a preference to remain with boyhood club PSG.

Last month he said: "I am flattered by the interest of historic clubs like Liverpool and AC Milan. We will see what happens in the near future.

"I have to make a decision. PSG is my club, I was born here and I learned my football here. I want to play for this club all my life, but it is clear that I do not want to sit on the bench."

And Liverpool may now be encouraged to rekindle their interest in the hope that Sakho's desire to work his way back into Deschamps' plans in a World Cup year outweighs his desire to remain in Paris.

Liverpool continues to be linked with a host of central defenders with the futures of Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel still up in the air.

No comments: