Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Reds Join Cicinho Hunt

The Brazilian full-back appears to have been pushed down the pecking order at Real Madrid under new coach Bernd Schuster.

Michel Salgado and Sergio Ramos have been used on the right during most of Real's pre-season to date, and Cicinho realises he could be due for a season of bench-warming if he stays at The Bernabeu.

Roma first showed an interest last month but have yet to strike a deal for the 27-year-old.

However, Liverpool have now been alerted and it has been claimed that Rafa Benitez has made contact.

Benitez wants competition on his right side and after seemingly cooling his interest in Sevilla's Daniel Alves - Cicinho appears to be an attractive alternative.

Roma were believed to be looking into a possible loan, but it seems a The Reds could bid 10 million euros (£6.8million) - which the Eternal City side would not match.

One possible problem for Liverpool could be the fact that Cicinho is reported to have told Real that he would rather move to Italy than England.

Sochaux Still Keen To Bring Back Le Tallec

Sochaux president Jean-Claude Plessis still retains an interest in signing Liverpool forward Anthony Le Tallec, but admits financial constraints could scupper any potential deal.

Le Tallec spent last season on loan at Sochaux, who are looking to bring him back for another spell in the Franche-Comte region.

Plessis admitted, however, that his side cannot compete with the wages on offer at the Reds. "It is no longer a question of getting an additional attacker, save perhaps Anthony," Plessis told French newspaper L'Est Republicain.

"But that remains subject to conditions that we all know about. He has an English salary and I can't break the wage bill of this club like that."

Sochaux, who will play in the UEFA Cup this season, have until August 31 to add to their squad.

Liverpool's recruitment of a raft of attackers over the summer means Le Tallec's chances of first-team football at Anfield this season are limited.

The player spent 2005-06 on loan at Sunderland, scoring three league goals in their unsuccessful fight to stay in the Premiership.

Liverpool Sell Sinama-Pongolle

Liverpool have officially confirmed the permanent transfer of striker Florent Sinama-Pongolle to Spanish club Recreativo.

The 22-year-old spent the entirety of last season on loan at Recre and made a big impression, making 32 league appearances, scoring 11 times.

He had been drafted in to the Liverpool squad by former Reds boss Gerard Houllier in 2003. Despite showing enough promise to earn a place in the France Under 21 squad, his Anfield career never took off.

Having made 66 appearances for Liverpool Sinama-Pongolle scored just 9 times and founds himself towards the back of a long list of strike talent at the club.

Heinze Seeks Arbitration Panel To Resolve United Row

An arbitration panel will meet next week to decide if Argentina defender Gabriel Heinze can leave champions Manchester United for Liverpool, the Premier League said on Tuesday.

Heinze, whose move to Merseyside is being blocked by United, had requested a three-man panel to settle the dispute between the two northwest rivals, a league spokesman said.

Heinze returned to United on Monday, having helped Argentina reach the Copa America final in Venezuela last month.

The 29-year-old left-back, who joined United in 2004 from Paris St Germain for 6.9 million pounds, has been losing out to France's Patrice Evra for a first team place.

Liverpool have offered 6.8 million, the sum reportedly needed for Heinze to buy out the remainder of his contract, but United manager Alex Ferguson does not want him to join a title rival.