Sunday, August 05, 2012

Rodgers May Look To Loans For Liverpool

Brendan Rodgers may tap into the loan market if his bid to secure new signings for Liverpool looks like failing to bear fruit.

Rodgers has been at the helm of the Anfield club for a couple of months, but he has so far only brought in striker Fabio Borini from Roma.

Swansea's Joe Allen and Fulham forward Clint Dempsey are confirmed targets of the Reds boss, but deals do not look imminent and Rodgers is prepared to plug the gap with temporary measures.

"There is nothing imminent, and it may take one or two moves [elsewhere] to spark everything off," he said.

"I have also looked at one or two loan deals from abroad. There are some quality players in that market that I have enquired about."

Rodgers has assured Reds fans that new faces will arrive this month.

He said: "I want players in sooner rather than later - it is important to get the group together as quickly as possible.

"But if not, then I'd be happy as long as we have some in before the end of August.”The make-up of the group will change before the season starts and that will change the dynamic of the team also."

Suarez Told To Move Forward

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes Luis Suarez 'probably still feels a little bit of injustice', but has urged the Uruguayan to move on from the much-publicized events of last season.

Suarez was handed an eight-game suspension and a £40,000 fine in December after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra in a Premier League match at Anfield.

The controversy was reignited in February when Suarez seemingly refused Evra's handshake as the teams conducted their traditional pre-match greeting in the return meeting at Old Trafford.

Suarez then reopened old wounds during an interview with a Uruguayan television show last month, where he accused United of having too much power and blamed Evra for the failure to shake hands.

The striker was jeered and booed by the crowd during Uruguay's Olympic Games defeat against Great Britain at the Millennium Stadium this week, but Rodgers has noted that rival fans only single out good players for criticism.

"The first point is that opposition fans only give people stick because they're good players - you don't see bad ones getting it," Rodgers said.

Rodgers continued: "Luis probably still feels a little bit of injustice about last season, but for me the message is that we have to move on.

"We have to move forward. What's happened has happened and let's let it go now, however hard it is. We want to be winning games and doing our best for the football club."

Suarez saw his participation in the Olympics come to an end with the loss to Team GB as the highly-fancied Uruguayans were dumped out.

Rodgers is now looking forward to welcoming the 25-year-old back into the fold with the Reds' season having already begun with Thursday's 1-0 victory over Belarus' FC Gomel in the first leg of their Europa League third qualifying round clash.

"It will be fantastic to have Luis coming back, and he is already fighting fit," said Rodgers, who replaced Kenny Dalglish in the Liverpool hotseat this summer.

"He will have a couple of days off and join up with us after the weekend. He's been playing games, so he will already be up to a decent level of fitness, maybe even higher really, because he's had more competitive games. I'm really looking forward to working with him."

Liverpool Make Offer For Gaston Ramirez

According to Italian website Liverpool have made an official bid for Bologna star Gaston Ramirez.

The offer, around £12.5 million, is not thought to be enough to persuade the Italians to sell but is not far short.

Sources in Italy report that a bid of around £14 million plus add ons would be enough to bring the talented wide player to Anfield, who is free to sort out his future now that Uruguay have been eliminated from the Olympics.

Ramirez has been watched by the Reds for the last year and last week his agent visited London for talks with an unnamed Premier League club.

The news coincides with the news that Brendan Rodgers has done a deal with Fiorentina that will see Alberto Aquilani return to Italy in a permanent deal.

Juventus Reignite Interest In Liverpool Forward

Luis Suarez’s souring relationship with English football may open the door to a move to Serie A giants Juventus, reports from Italy suggest.

Italian outlet calciomercato suggest that Juventus are willing to offer the perturbed Liverpool forward a route out of the Premier League, as they consider alternatives should they fail in their attempts to lure Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie to the club.

Suarez recently vented his frustrations after he was on the receiving end of a constant crescendo of boos during Uruguay’s 1-0 defeat to Team GB at the Millennium Stadium, after which the Liverpool man said he thought he was booed because fans were afraid of him.

The Uruguayan also received a predictably hostile reception at Old Trafford prior to that, where his home nation claimed their sole victory of the tournament with a 2-1 win over United Arab Emirates. Suarez was relentlessly booed by a crowd which logically contained a large contingent of Manchester United fans, quick to remind him of the ugly racism spat with Patrice Evra which resulted in the Uruguayan picking up an eight game ban

Calciomercato conclude that Suarez has had enough of life in English football, and Juventus are more than happy to offer asylum for the Uruguayan. The Bianconeri are hopeful that the promise of Champions League football and the attraction of playing for the Serie A champions will be enough to lure Suarez to the club, as their persistent attempts to sign Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie continue.

The Serie A champions may see Suarez as more sensible long term investment, given the Dutchman’s injury record, wage demands and his almost four senior years on the Uruguayan.

Vargas Chase Hots Up With Genoa Ready To Rival Liverpool

Genoa have emerged as contenders to sign Liverpool target Juan Manuel Vargas, according to Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Vargas, 28, has been made available for transfer by his club Fiorentina, and Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has been tipped to make an offer for the Peru international, who can play in defence and midfield.

And news of Vargas’ availability has alerted Serie A side Genoa, who are looking to recruit a left-footed player this summer.

However, Genoa may struggle to meet Fiorentina’s asking price for the Peruvian, and could offer midfielder Juraj Kucka to Fiorentina as part of any deal.

Team GB Star Could Be On His Way Out Of Liverpool

Cardiff City have opened talks with Liverpool over the potential transfer of striker Craig Bellamy, reports suggest.

The Welshman is earning his plaudits as Team GB continue their quest for Olympic gold, but his domestic matters remain unresolved, after failing to get reassurances from Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers over first team football next season, Metro reports.

Bellamy is to meet with Rodgers once Team GB’s campaign concludes, but reports suggest that Cardiff have already struck a deal with the Reds to bring Bellamy back to the Welsh capital once again.

The Bluebirds have reportedly struck an early deal with Liverpool, amid growing interest from newly promoted West Ham United and Queens Park Rangers, who are also considering bids for journeyman Bellamy. Cardiff have made an offer to pay Bellamy’s reputed wages of £70,000 per week, providing they do not have to stump up a transfer fee, an offer which the Liverpool hierarchy would settle upon.

Bellamy found himself limited to just 24 appearances for Liverpool last season, many of those as a substitute. As Brendan Rodgers seeks to bring in his own players and establish his own mantra at the club, Bellamy could find his opportunities limited again, despite his impressive form in the London 2012 games.

Pereira Could Leave Porto

Alvaro Pereira's agent says there have not yet been any official offers for the full-back but believes a move away from Porto this summer is a possibility.

The Uruguay international is under contract with Porto until the summer of 2016 and is valued at around €30million (£23.8m).

However, he has reportedly attracted the interest of a number of leading European clubs, including Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Paris St Germain, Napoli and Juventus have also been linked with the 26-year-old, whose representative believes a departure from Porto could happen.

Flavio Perchmen told Antena 1: "I spoke with Alvaro last week and he is calm. We are waiting to find out if there is any offer.

"We think everything will go well and that he can leave the club, but right now we do not have any concrete offer."

Rodgers Pens Letter Of Thanks To Liverpool Supporters

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has penned a letter of thanks to the club's travelling fans who watched them beat FC Gomel in the Europa League on Thursday.

A small contingent of Reds fans made the 1,500 mile journey to Belarus to support their team in Rodgers' first competitive game as manager of the Merseysiders.

They were not to be disappointed as scorching strike from Stewart Downing gave Liverpool the win and the advantage in the tie with that crucial away goal.

Rodgers expressed his gratitude to the supporters and insisted their presence was not taken for granted and played a huge part in the victory.

He wrote: "I want to say a sincere thank you for making the effort to come to Gomel on Thursday night to support us in our first competitive match of the season.

"The players and I are fully aware of the trials and tribulations surrounding travel for games; in particular, the costs, the necessity for visas and the transportation issues involved with this trip, so we wanted to let you know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

"It was a privilege to acknowledge your support on the evening at the ground, as we did following the full-time whistle, but I wanted to reiterate our thanks with this brief message.

"It was a special night for me personally and it was great to see you in the stadium and in great voice; you made me proud and you made the players proud. You are an integral part of this team."

Liverpool Youth Join U21 Premier League

Starting with the NextGen U19 European competition last season, the past year has seen a widespread and increasing focus on youth development and providing a platform for young players to further improve their games and bridge the gap between youth and first team football.

Now, the Premier League has revealed that for the coming season the fractured reserve league system in England will largely take a back seat to a new U21 Premier League consisting of the 23 clubs—17 from the EPL and six from the Championship—whose academies qualify for Category One status.

The structure of the competition will see the clubs broken up into three groups, with Liverpool in the seven-member National Group Three along with Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Manchester City, Middlesbrough, and Wolverhampton.

Each club will play home and away against the other members of their group before entering a second qualification round in the new year where the clubs will be seeded based on finishing position in the first round, with the top finishers from that first round given preference for advancing into the final third round of four clubs who will then compete in a semi-finals and final.

On paper at least, it seems a sensible way to further aid in youth development and will likely be warmly welcomed by Frank McParland, Rodolfo Borrell, Jose Segura, and the rest of those in charge of Liverpool's youth and reserves system. The first game for Liverpool comes on August 20th when they host Wolves.