Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Iago Aspas All Set For Liverpool Move

Iago Aspas is set to complete his move to Liverpool today after undergoing a medical.

Celta Vigo forward Aspas, 25, has cancelled a Caribbean holiday to ensure the £7.2 million deal goes through this week and arrived on Merseyside last night.

He told Spanish sports paper Marca: "When I heard of Liverpool’s interest I did not hesitate even for a minute.

"(Liverpool) is one of the biggest clubs in the world and although I had offers from Italy and Portugal and other countries I decided my future was in English football.

"I hope I will get help from (Jose) Reina, Suso, Dani Pacheco, Luis Suarez, (Philippe) Coutinho, Lucas Leiva and Jose Enrique,' added Aspas.”I'm calm, but at the same time I'm very emotional about taking such an important step in my career."

Aspas is set to be joined at Anfield by Sevilla’s Luis Alberto who is expected to complete a £5m move by the end of the week.

United, City & Liverpool Set To Battle Over Di Maria

Premier League trio Manchester United, City and Liverpool are all set to make a move for Real Madrid star Angel Di Maria according to reports.

Madrid, who is currently without a manager, is unlikely to agree whether to accept or reject the bid until they appoint a new manager following the departure of Jose Mourinho.

But if they do, there will be a queue of clubs lining up for the 25-year-old Argentine international, according to the Daily Star.

Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco are the front-runners to sign him while Liverpool and Manchester United are also in the running.

Chelsea has also been linked with di Maria, who has claimed he's happy in Spain.

Liverpool Face Fight For Barcelona Defender

Liverpool will have to fend off interest from Bayer Leverkusen to seal a summer deal for Barcelona right-back Martin Montoya, according to reports from talkSPORT.

The Reds are said to be tracking the young Spaniard, as Brendan Rodgers goes about bolstering his defence in an attempt to build a squad capable of Champions League qualification.

Montoya is said to be high on his list of candidates, with the 22-year-old having impressed during his fleeting first-team opportunities with Barca.

The 22-year-old is currently behind Dani Alves in the pecking order at the Nou Camp, meaning that he rarely gets an opportunity to put together a decent run of performances.

The youngster has started just 14 league fixtures over the course of the last two years, a set of circumstances that has forced him to consider his options.

Rodgers is hopeful that by offering him a greater chance of regular action, he can tempt the Spanish U-21 international to move to Anfield.

But, he will have to battle Bayer Leverkusen, who is also keen.

The Germans’ ability to offer Montoya Champions League football could be a deal breaker, with the Reds not even in the Europa League next season.

Liverpool Boss Sets Sights On Spurs Playmaker

Liverpool is being linked with a summer move for Tottenham Hotspur playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson.

SportsDirect News claims Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is monitoring the Icelandic midfielder’s situation at White Hart Lane, and will ‘pounce’ if a transfer opportunity arises this summer.

Rodgers was close to bringing the player to Anfield last summer, but missed out on the 23-year-old when he opted for Spurs instead of Liverpool.

However, Sigurdsson has failed to hold down a regular place in the Tottenham Hotspur side, and the website claims the Reds will try to use this in their efforts to lure the player to Merseyside.

Rodgers has worked with the player previously of course, with Sigurdsson scoring seven goals in 19 appearances at the end of the 2011/12 season under the Northern Irishman.

And, with the Liverpool boss looking to add to his attacking options this summer following the arrivals of Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge in January, the attacking midfielder could be next off the transfer wish list.

Liverpool Teen Target Plays Down Transfer Rumours

Liverpool transfer target Lucas Digne has played down rumours of a move away from Lille.

The 19-year-old full-back has been linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain in his homeland, and admits he’s flattered to be on the radar of the Ligue 1 champions.

However, he’s dismissed the transfer talk as nothing more than gossip, and insists he’s focused on producing his best for Les Bleus in the U20 World Cup.

"Obviously, I'm flattered, but I do not care for now. These are just rumours. I am focused on the U20 World Cup,” he told Le Parisien.

Liverpool has been showing an interest in the player since January, with manager Brendan Rodgers sending scouts to watch the player in action during the French season.

Digne didn’t disappoint, scoring three goals and picking up two assists in 44 appearances for Lille.

The teenage left-back would provide strong competition for Jose Enrique if Liverpool did manage to sign the player, and also continue the club’s policy of signing top youngsters.

Rodgers spent big to bring Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho to Anfield in January, but there are still plenty of hurdles for the Liverpool boss to overcome if he wants to add Digne to that list.

Suarez Irked By Irritating Manchester Fans

Luis Suarez has pointed the finger at Manchester fans for making his life with Liverpool a living hell.

The Uruguayan striker, who is understood to be seeking a move away from the Reds this summer, insists he and his family are being forced out of the Premier League by annoying rival fans.

Describing a recent incident in an interview with RR-Gol, he said: ‘About a week ago I was walking in a shopping centre near Manchester and three or four guys asked me for a photo. While we were posing for it my wife said to me “Luis, get out of the photo”.

‘She noticed they were making biting gestures. I was with my wife and my daughter. Things like that get on your nerves.

‘My wife was on the brink of tears and the blokes ran off laughing. You get tired of stuff like that.’

Another bone of contention was the severity of his eight-match ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra, in comparison with John Terry, who was given just a four match ban for a similar incident involving Anton Ferdinand.

‘Without any proof they gave me an eight match ban, but with Terry, where they had proof and lip-readers, they gave him four,’ he added.

Suarez, who has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, also spoke of his desire to link up with Cristiano Ronaldo at the Bernabeu, and once again lashed out at the English press for ‘unfair treatment’.

Agent: Reina Will Not Be Moving To Barcelona Or Napoli

Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina will not be joining former boss Rafa Benitez at Napoli or moving to Spanish giants Barcelona, according to his agent.

Manuel Garcia Quilon insists the 30-year-old keeper sees his future at Anfield and does not want a transfer away from Liverpool.

The 30-year-old shot stopper has been linked with a move to the La Liga champions if Victor Valdes leaves as well as a reunion with Benitez at Napoli.

The former Reds boss is a big admirer of the Spaniard after signing him from Villarreal in 2005 for £6 million.

Speaking to, agent Quilon said: "Reina has been clear in recent days his thoughts, his future is still at Liverpool.

"At the moment there are no chances for Napoli and Barcelona.

"Pepe considers Benitez a great coach but his future will still be at Anfield."

Skrtel's Agent Hints At Napoli Move

Martin Skrtel’s agent has hinted that the Liverpool centre-half would be interested in a move to Napoli.

The Serie A runners-up are managed by Rafael Benitez, the man who took Skrtel to Anfield in 2008.

Benitez is understood to be interested in bringing the 28-year-old Slovakian to Italy and is mulling over making an offer.

Skrtel's representative Karol Csonto told Italian radio station Radio Crc: "Obviously Napoli know Martin well but there cannot be any contact between us and them if they do not first reach an agreement with Liverpool."

Napoli and Liverpool haven't yet discussed a possible move for the defender that lost his place in the starting XI towards the end of this season.

A meeting with boss Brendan Rodgers to define Skrtel's future is expected to be held soon.

Csonto added: There has been no contact between the two clubs. Martin has a contract with Liverpool and it is important to honour that.

"I will be in England next week to talk with Liverpool and define Martin's future."

Lucas Advises Atlético Paranaense Youngsters

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has been sharing some advice with the youngsters of Atlético Paranaense.

The 26-year-old was invited to the Atlético Paranaense training ground to chat to the young players about how he made it as a professional footballer and to give them advice on how they can do the same.

Lucas left Grêmio in 2007 to move to the Premier League and join Liverpool where he has become a huge success.

He hoped the lecture would encourage the young hopefuls to follow in his footsteps.

He told the club’s official website: "I hope I’ve managed to share some of my experiences and they can understand football today is becoming more professional and requires increasing dedication and commitment."

Later, via Instagram, Lucas, who has made 20 appearances for the Seleção, thanked the club for the opportunity to inspire the young footballers.

He posted: "I would like to that Atlético-PR for the invitation to chat with the kids about my career from when I left home until the present day."