Friday, January 04, 2013

Sterling Remaining Focused

Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling insists he is keeping his feet on the ground despite his rapid rise to fame.

Sterling, who has only recently turned 18, has played in 20 of his side's 21 top-flight matches and has signed a new five-year contract to keep him at Anfield.

He also scored his second Premier League goal in Liverpool's 3-0 defeat of Sunderland on Wednesday but he is determined to concentrate on his football and grow as a player at Anfield.

"I try not to take in what people are saying and just listen to the manager and the people who have influenced me to play football," he said.

"Hopefully I can just do well and not let it take up too much of my head, just play my normal game and goals and assists will come.

"I don't really listen to anyone apart from people at the football club.

"It is a big step for any 17-18-year-old to come and play in the Premier League with players like Steven Gerrard and the expectation is going to be high week in, week out.

"But as a young player you just have to keep playing.

No comments: