Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cole Determined To Prove His Worth

Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole insists he still has plenty to offer the club as he fights to save his Anfield career.

Cole, 31, scored his first goal for the club in 19 months as they drew 2-2 with Young Boys in the Europa League on Thursday night.

The former Chelsea man has struggled for form and fitness since returning to Liverpool in the summer, following a season on loan at Lille.

Cole missed the best part of two months after picking up a hamstring injury during a defeat at West Brom on the opening day of the season. He has only made one league appearance since then, with manager Brendan Rodgers otherwise restricting him to appearances in cup games.

However, the former England international is determined to force his way back into the first-team set-up at Anfield.

"I've been a good player for West Ham, Chelsea and Lille and England when I've played so I'm sure if I play football here, I'll be a good player for Liverpool," Cole said.

"It was nice to be out and playing. It was my third game back and I've felt stronger in every game I've played so I've just got to keep going, keep plugging away. It was an enjoyable game to play in but overall the result wasn't great so we're disappointed that we didn't come away with a win to see us through."

Elsad Zverotic's 88th-minute equalizer for the Swiss side has given Rodgers a headache as he tries to ensure European football at the club beyond Christmas. His side must win their final Group A game away to Udinese on December 6 to be certain of making the Europa League's last 32, while if they lose they are out.

Cole, though, believes that Liverpool can overcome their Europa League disappointment against Young Boys and make it through to the next round.

"Of course we can qualify," Cole said. "I don't think it's very complicated. Just win the game and that puts it all to bed. That'll be the thought out there. Liverpool needs to be playing European football after Christmas so we'll go there strong, I would imagine, and try to win the game."

No comments: