Sunday, October 14, 2012

Shelvey Savours Senior Debut

Jonjo Shelvey is bracing himself for a return to England's U21 squad but is desperate to taste more of the big time after making his senior debut against San Marino.

The Liverpool midfielder was set to feature in Friday's U21 European Championship play-off first leg against Serbia but his suspension, along with injury to Frank Lampard for the seniors, meant a call-up to Roy Hodgson's squad instead.

He impressed off the bench as England eased to a 5-0 win in their World Cup qualifier but may have to wait for a second chance.

The 20-year-old is available for the youngsters' return match in Krusevac on Tuesday but Steven Gerrard is one of several experienced players set to return for the senior team's crunch trip to Poland on the same night.

"I don't know what's happening now; whether I'm going to be going back to the U21s or staying," Shelvey said.

"Hopefully, (Hodgson's) got me in his plans for future call-ups.

"I started the week a little bit nervously, not in a training sense but in and around the hotel. But, as the week went on, I got more and more confident.

"My dad's always said that hopefully one day I'll play for England and it's come true now. It's what dreams are made of."

No comments: