Saturday, September 04, 2010

Carragher Blasts For Souness Reign

Jamie Carragher admits he has nothing but admiration for Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello but the Liverpool defender is critical of Graeme Souness' tenure at Anfield.

The 32-year-old will today enjoy his testimonial with the likes of Michael Owen, Danny Murphy, Jerzy Dudek, Luis Garcia and Emile Heskey all set to turn out while former manager Gerard Houllier will also be at Anfield.

The Bootle-born player has made 635 appearances for Liverpool since making his debut in January 1997, three years into Roy Evans' spell as manager after he had replaced Souness.

Carragher readily admits he would love to learn from the likes of Ferguson, Mourinho and Capello, who persuaded the defender to come out of international retirement and represent England in their disastrous World Cup campaign.

He told the Daily Mail: "The likes of Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho, I could talk to them all day and that's one reason I answered the call from Fabio Capello to go to the World Cup. I wanted to see him at close quarters.

"I wasn't disappointed and got on great with him. He used to make me laugh every day. It was just the way he was - no messing. I loved that."

The Reds stalwart then settled on Ferguson as the manager he would most like to interview and added: "What would I ask him? How long have you got? All day?

"If I was in his company, I would also tell him first off, that Manchester United never knocked Liverpool off their perch as he put it.

"That's nonsense. Graeme Souness did that.

"When United were going for their first title under Ferguson in 1992-93 they were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa. They weren't competing with Liverpool, were they?"

No comments: