Saturday, September 04, 2010

Liverpool Youngster Jonjo Shelvey Delighted After Landmark Week

Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is hoping that the week he has just enjoyed will set the tone for the rest of his season.

The former Charlton Atheltic man netted a goal on his debut for England Under-19s in their 2-0 win over Slovakia on Thursday evening, the same day as his sister gave birth. Shelvey hopes such highs are a sign of more good times to come.

"Words can't describe it today. We did really well and my sister has just had a baby as well, so this just topped it off," the youngster told the Reds' official website.

"It's the first time I've been an uncle, so I can't wait to go home now and see the baby.

"It's been a great day for my family and to lead the team out as captain, it's a big day for me."

The midfielder was proud of his first appearance in an England U-19 shirt, hailing the overall team display.

"It was a great performance all the way through, from the goalkeeper to the centre-forward, and to play for your country in a performance like that is good," he added.

"Everyone has got on well since we met up. The younger lads have obviously got that winning mentality from the summer and the lads my age have got it as well. There are some good players in this squad.

"We could have scored more too. I missed a few chances myself, but I thought we opened them up quite well and our defensive shape was superb, so it was a good game for the crowd to watch."

Having already represented England at U16 and U17 level, Shelvey is aiming to one day take his international education up at least one more notch.

"It's been proved with Jack Wilshere that if you're good enough you can go into the U21s and seniors," he said.

"And that's where I'm looking to go, to keep pushing on."

No comments: