Friday, September 03, 2010

Jamie Carragher Nearing Agreement For A New Contract At Liverpool

Liverpool stalwart Jamie Carragher has confirmed that he is close to signing a new contract with the club.

The defender had been in talks with the club over a new deal, but it had to be put on hold during the summer. Reds boss Roy Hodgson had later conceded that the defender's contract would become a matter of priority once the transfer window came to a close.
And with the window shut now, the 32-year-old believes that the two parties have made significant headway in recent discussions, as he is in the last year of his current contract with the club.

"I have spoken to the managing director, Christian Purslow, and we've had a good chat about the new contract," said Carragher, according to The Guardian.

"I'm sure it will happen.

"The most important thing was for the club to get the ins and outs sorted before the transfer deadline. That's done now so I'm sure we will have something sorted out in the next week or two."

He added: "I want to push on, I want to get in the top four and I want to win a trophy.

"Liverpool supporters haven't been to Wembley for a very long time because of the Cardiff situation a few years ago and I want to play at Wembley for Liverpool. I've never done that and that is one of my aims for this season. We don't want to be treading water, I certainly hope not."

Carragher made a surprise return to international football following his previously self-imposed retirement, but he insists that playing for the Three Lions during the European Championship qualifiers is not on the cards.

"No. England will be all right," he said. "I think [Phil] Jagielka is a great player, [Michael] Dawson has done great for Tottenham and [Matthew] Upson is back in the squad now.

"England knew the situation at the start. It was a one-off thing for me going back. They were in a bit of trouble and so they asked me. I liked the idea of working with [Fabio] Capello and to have another chance of playing in a World Cup. I honestly thought England had a chance of winning it – can you believe that!"

No comments: