Monday, August 24, 2009

I Have Joined The Best Club In Europe – Liverpool’s Sotirios Kyrgiakos


Liverpool’s newest recruit Sotirios Kyrgiakos has claimed that he joined the Reds because he believes they are the best club in Europe.

The defender swapped AEK Athens for Anfield this week for a fee in the region of €3 million and he is clearly delighted with his decision.

Speaking in an interview with the club’s official website, www.liverpoolfc.tv, the Greek centre-back explained that joining the Merseysiders was too good an opportunity to turn down.

“When I found out it was Liverpool, I didn't have to think too hard about it,” he said.

“I'm 30 years-old now, so it's a fantastic opportunity for me to join a club like Liverpool.”

Kyrgiakos also described his style of play and admitted that he was hoping to become a regular in Rafael Benitez’s side.

“I would say I am a physical player in the way I like to defend. I am aggressive in the way I jump to head the ball but I always aim to play within the rules of the game,” he explained.

“First of all, I want to establish myself as a starting player. Then, I hope to help the club achieve the goals it has already set. I believe I am at the best age for me to take on this challenge because of the experience I now have.”

Kyrgiakos also confessed that he was well aware of Liverpool’s history and insisted they were the continent’s top team.

“Everyone is aware of Liverpool's traditions,” he added.

“I have come here because I believe they are the best club in Europe.”

No comments: