Sunday, August 23, 2009

Premier League Title Race Is Wide Open - Jamie Carragher


Veteran centre-back Jamie Carragher believes the Premier League will go right down to the wire this season.

"The title race will be open. Manchester United have lost Cristiano Ronaldo and, hopefully, Fernando Torres will be fit all season for us," Carragher told the Daily Express.

"You never write off someone as good as Arsene Wenger. Cesc Fabregas was injured a bit last season, but Andrey Arshavin looks a top player and Theo Walcott will benefit from another year's experience," he added.

The Liverpool defender said his side are at a disadvantage in the transfer market, but despite this, he thinks the Reds have some high quality players.

"There are a few clubs who have got more money than us. Real Madrid, United, Chelsea and, obviously, Manchester City have come on the scene.

"I still think City would like a lot more of our players," said Carragher.

Even though he has been a mainstay in the Liverpool defence for a considerable time, the Liverpudlian refuses to rest on his laurels and admits the fear of being dropped drives him forward.

"The reason I am that type of player is fear really. It's fear of losing my place," he explained.

"I know it sounds stupid to some people but I never feel like I have cemented my place, that it can all be taken away from me very quickly.

"I always try to do something different each summer to try to get that extra couple of per cent. I went boxing, I've always eaten well and now I eat to the absolute maximum," said the 32-year-old.

"We are all getting older, but another way of looking at it is Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel are getting more experienced, which is going to help them.

"They are coming into the prime of their careers. I am not stupid. I am 32 in January. It will happen one day."

2 comments:

ifotbol said...

Competitiveness for a spot in the starting team is always a good thing for any club as it makes the players gie it all they got and that in turn benefits the whole team. The race for the title will be very close and Liverpool will be there if it's key players stay fit throughout the season.

Anonymous said...

Liverpool will win title this year.