Monday, August 24, 2009

Rafa: Glen Can Hit The Goal Trail

Rafael Benitez has backed Glen Johnson to aid Liverpool's title push by becoming a regular name on the scoresheet.

The Reds boss has been delighted with the attacking flair the right-back has shown since joining the club in the summer and is confident the England man can go close to hitting double figures this season.

"I don't want to give him any targets, but I think he can score between five and 10 for us because he is really good going forward and normally we are an attacking team," Benitez told radio journalists at his pre-match press conference at Melwood yesterday.

"I think he will get somewhere between the figures you mention.

"We analysed him after watching him in a number of games and knew we were bringing in a player with lots of quality who could get forward and score goals.

"He is a player who will work hard and I think he will aim to improve the defensive part of his game. I remember the first time I spoke to him and he told me he was keen to learn. He was happy because we told him we could help him and he is doing really well."

Asked if he felt playing alongside the likes of Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger and Jamie Carragher will help boost the defensive side of Johnson's game, Benitez said: "Yes, I think it is important for him to play with these players because they will talk to him throughout matches and offer him advice on how to do things.

"I also think that working with Sammy (Lee) and Pellegrino will help him improve too. I am sure that at the end of the season we will be talking about a very good defender with a good offensive mentality."

No comments: