Monday, August 24, 2009

New Signing Kyrgiakos Eyeing Up Late-Career Glory As Greek International Completes Anfield Switch


Liverpool's new Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos plans to capitalise on his unexpected chance to be successful at the very highest level.

The 30-year-old central defender has signed a two-year contract at Anfield after a £2million move from AEK Athens.

Kyrgiakos was unlucky to miss Greece's Euro 2004 success through injury, and had to sit and watch his countrymen lift the title in Portugal.

Since then he has had spells at Rangers in Scotland and Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.

And almost out of the blue he has been offered the chance to make his mark with the five-time European champions as he approaches the final years of his career.

Kyrgiakos is very much a cheap option for Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez due to the cash problems at Anfield.

But, unveiled today at the club's Melwood training ground, Kyrgiakos admitted it was an offer he just could not refuse.

He said: 'I am very happy to have this chance at Liverpool. I know I had just signed a new contract with AEK.

'But although it was a good contract, you never stop having ambitions in life, and that is why I am here.

'When you are approached by a club like Liverpool, it is an offer you just cannot refuse.

'I hope that I can bring my strength to this squad, I am good in the air and I have a lot of experience now, so I hope I can be of benefit to Liverpool.

'There are a lot of real quality players here, so I hope to add to their squad and I know they will help me settle down here.

'I have played for Rangers in Scotland and Frankfurt in Germany, which has given me a lot of experience of competitive leagues so I believe I will adapt quickly.'

Kyrgiakos is expected to be in Liverpool's squad on Monday for the home league game against Aston Villa.

He said: 'I do not know yet whether I will be playing on Monday against Aston Villa, that is up to the manager, but I will be ready if needed.

'I know that there have not been many Greek players who have been successful in the English game, so I feel that I have something to prove for my country, that we can play at this level.

'For me it is a chance to have success at the very top. I was injured when Greece were European champions in 2004, these things happen in football.

'So I have plenty of motivation to do well in the Premier League and help Liverpool to be successful.'

He added: "I only found out on Monday that Liverpool were interested, it was a surprise but I could not say no to this club, and I hope AEK fans understand. I will always have a place in my heart for them.

'My time at Rangers will help me play in England. I am a physical player and it will suit my game playing here.

'I had a few disciplinary problems in Scotland, but not too much. I feel I have learned now how to be physical in this style of football.

'This is the best stage for me to play football, I understand Liverpool's traditions and I am proud to have this chance. I have come to the best club, the biggest club.'

No comments: