Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Xabi Alonso Offers Support As Cesc Fabregas Faces Lay-Off

Xabi Alonso has wished compatriot Cesc Fabregas a speedy recovery after the Arsenal midfielder was ruled out for four months with a serious knee injury.

Fabregas suffered a partial rupture to his medial ligament when he was tackled by Liverpool midfielder Alonso during Sunday’s 1-1 draw at the Emirates.

The Arsenal midfielder is now only likely to be back for the final month of the season, dealing a damaging blow to the Gunners’ fading title hopes. And Alonso, who alongside Fabregas was a member of Spain’s Euro 2008-winning squad this summer, said: “I’m hoping for a rapid recovery for Cesc. Now comes the most tedious bit, the recuperation, but I will be there encouraging him.

“If anything, I’m even more upset than Fabregas is. It always affects me to see a companion injured, but especially if it is a friend and a national team-mate like Cesc.

“I already went to see him after the game, and from what he told me we both expected it was something serious. But I spoke with him on Monday and, bearing in mind the situation, he was in quite good spirits.”

On the challenge that caused the injury, Alonso added: “It was just another incident of the game and, of course, there was no malicious intent.”

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said: “The news is not good. It will take three to four months, we count four. He will be working hard to come back earlier but I count four months.”

No comments: