Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Xabi Alonso Attracted By Move To Juventus

XABI ALONSO has left the door open for a possible summer move to Juventus.

The Liverpool midfielder came close to signing for the Serie A side in a £16million deal during the transfer window.

However, Juventus instead opted to sign Sevilla’s Christian Poulsen, with coach Claudio Ranieri last week claiming Alonso was “too slow” to accommodate the limitations of the Italian team’s other midfielders.

Coupled with Liverpool’s failure to prise Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, Alonso has subsequently played an integral part in the Anfield outfit’s unbeaten start but, quoted speaking in the Italian press yesterday, the 26-year-old has expressed his continued interest in Juventus.

“To be honest, for my part, the attraction has remained intact,” said Alonso.

“One thing I can say is that I personally appreciated the honesty of the club executives.

“They told me their tactics on the pitch were different and that is why they chose Poulsen and not me. These are things that happen in football and its fine. I could have gone but I didn’t because, in the end, they chose someone else.

“Juventus are Juventus, the most prestigious club in Italy, but you cannot be disappointed when you play for Liverpool.”

No comments: