Monday, October 13, 2008

Dossena Relishes Azzurri Role


Liverpool full-back Andrea Dossena has finally broke into the Nazionale and played the full 90 minutes in Sofia. He explains to Tuttomercatoweb how he ended up in England this summer.

The 27-year-old moved to Anfield over the summer after a breakthrough season at Udinese and was given the nod by Marcello Lippi to control the left channel in the World Cup qualifier with Bulgaria at the Levski Stadium, due to a spate of injuries that have hit the national side, including Lyon's left-back Fabio Grosso.

"I strongly want to keep my place in this squad and keep movng on," he told the website specialized in transfer gossips.

Dossena has met up with several former Udinese teammates at Coverciano, as Lippi opted to put trust in the Friulani attacking trident, with Fabio Quagliarella now also joining debutant Simone Pepe and diminutive marksman Antonio Di Natale for the Stadio Via Del Mare game with Montenegro next Wednesday.

"Pepe has improved a lot and he has lots of qualities," he enthused.

"As for Totò [Di Natale], we linked up well at the Stadio Friuli, I know what he will be trying to do before the ball even gets to him."

It was suggested that other Italian clubs were in the frame to land Dossena over the summer, such as Fiorentina, but he plumped for an experience abroad in the end.

"Liverpool are a prestigious club and I was willing to try my hand in England," he asserted.

"I don't really think the Viola approached my agent, and to tell you the truth, I am somewhat astounded that Italian sides did not make a move for me."

No comments: