Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gerrard Vows To Wow Capello

Steven Gerrard is determined to prove to Fabio Capello that he is England's top midfielder.

And the Liverpool captain has pledged to bring his club form to the international arena if coach Capello sticks by him.

"I'll be honest, I haven't always hit my Liverpool form for England but it's not through a lack of trying. I'm desperate to play well for England." said Gerrard.

"He (Capello) wants me to emulate my form for Liverpool for England and he is prepared to help me. That's what I want. I don't want a manager to give up on me for club or country. I want them to keep trying to make me better.

"I have delivered but I need to make that more consistent. That's the next challenge for me, to try to stay in the starting XI and perform as consistently for England as I do for Liverpool. But I believe we are getting to where we want to be."

Gerrard, who describes life under Capello as "not scary, but exciting", insists his preferred role is as an attacking midfielder, although he accepts there are times when he has to be more disciplined when playing in partnership with Frank Lampard.

He said: "While I've still got that burst of energy I want to make the most of it. I still feel I've got a lot of years in these legs yet.

"Long term, well into my 30s, I can see myself going further back, probably ending up at right-back or left-back where I started."

No comments: