Friday, September 26, 2008

Steven Gerrard Looks To Break 20-Goal Barrier Again

STEVEN GERRARD insists that Rafael Benitez has made him a better player during his reign at Liverpool – and the Anfield captain has also praised Fernando Torres for helping boost him as an attacking force.

Gerrard’s ability to operate in several different midfield positions to good effect has prompted manager Benitez to deploy him in varying roles during the past five seasons.

And with Javier Mascherano expected to return for the Merseyside derby tomorrow after being rested for last weekend’s 0-0 draw with Stoke, the skipper’s duties are likely to alter again.

However, Gerrard accepts that each match must be approached individually when it comes to his licence to roam.

He said: “There are some games when I have to change my style of play. If it is a big game, for example, I realise that I can’t just be bombing into the box all the time.

“There are times when I have to be a bit more disciplined. We’ll have to wait and see where I’ll play for the majority of the season.

“But I know I can fit into a number of positions and do a job for the team.”

Benitez infamously substituted his captain in last season’s Goodison derby for being “too passionate” but Gerrard appreciates the Spaniard’s candid assessments of his performances.

He said: “I’d prefer to have a manager like Rafa who will tell me where I’m going wrong and where I need to readjust slightly.

“I feel since he’s come in here my game has come on in leaps and bounds – he’s certainly improved me as a player.

“Okay, he has played me in different positions. But I feel a lot more comfortable now in that I can play almost anywhere on the pitch.

“Rafa has taken my game to the next level. He’s the kind of manager who doesn’t let anything go.

“I have played for managers who perhaps won’t pull you on the things you’re doing wrong. That’s not going to get you anywhere, is it?”

Gerrard is looking to break the 20-goal barrier again this season as the Liverpool captain closes in on his 100th strike for the club.

And he reckons the role tucked in just behind Torres, where he enjoyed so much success last season, holds the key to him completing his century. However, while Torres has yet to recapture his prolific form of last season – he netted 33 times in his debut campaign in England – Gerrard insists that the Spaniard remains a major factor when it comes to his own goalscoring.

He said: “Fernando has certainly helped me – not just in terms of my goals but the whole team in general. I think moving further forward also helped my goal tally, playing just in behind Torres.

“He was running riot, causing defenders all sorts of problems. While they were worrying about him, I was sneaking in and nicking a few goals. I enjoyed playing in that role.

“The manager knows if there are ever any injuries or he simply wants to stick me up there again, I can play that role.”

No comments: