Friday, September 26, 2008

Cavalieri Eager For Action


Liverpool goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri is keen to make his mark on the first team following his competitive debut against Crewe Alexandra in midweek.

Cavalieri made his senior bow as the Reds scraped a 2-1 victory over the Alex in their Carling Cup third-round tie on Tuesday.

And after getting his first little taste of first-team football, the Brazilian shot-stopper is hungry for more.

"I am happy that I played my part and helped Liverpool to leave the field with the victory," he told the club's official website.

"I always respect and accept any decision of the coach, but I will be always ready to perform when the chance emerges."

Cavalieri was drafted in from Palmeiras during the summer to act as cover for first-choice 'keeper Jose 'Pepe' Reina.

The Spaniard will be hard to displace, having claimed his third consecutive Golden Glove award last season for keeping the most clean sheets in the Premier League.

"I have an excellent relationship with Pepe Reina," Cavalieri continued.

"He has been one of the people who helped me the most since I arrived at the club."

The 25-year-old impressed during pre-season, featuring regularly as manager Rafael Benitez blooded his summer signings.

And while Cavalieri enjoyed his friendly run-outs, he admitted the experience of a competitive game is far more intense.

The Sao Paulo native added: "Even though I had already played some games, the anxiety playing in an official match is even bigger."

But with Benitez certain to field a tried-and-trusted team against Everton on Saturday, Cavalieri will have to wait patiently for his next chance to impress.

No comments: