Thursday, May 02, 2013

Enrique Enjoying Anfield Stay

Liverpool's Jose Enrique says his decision to leave Newcastle for Anfield was "one of the best" of his career.

The Spanish defender swapped Tyneside for Merseyside in August 2011 after a four-year spell with the Magpies that included relegation from the Premier League followed by immediate promotion as Championship title-winners.

His first season at Anfield ended with his new club three places below Newcastle in the Premier League table, but as 2012/13 draws to a close Enrique's former employers are locked in a battle against relegation.

The possibility of a return to the Championship for Newcastle drew nearer when they were thrashed 6-0 by Liverpool last Saturday, and for Enrique he feels his move of nearly two years ago was the right one.

"Coming to Liverpool was one of the best decisions in my life, in terms of football," the 27-year-old told LFC TV.

"Of course, I already played for a good club at Newcastle, but you can't compare one club with the other in terms of history.

"I'm really happy with my decision to be here; it's my second season and I'm playing a lot, like last year. I'm improving a lot as a player and a person as well."

Manager Brendan Rodgers' influence is also something that Enrique feels is a having a positive effect at the club.

"He likes to be close with the players. He talks with everyone the same," added Enrique. "It surprised me that he knows all the young players, coming from the Under 16s and Under 18s.

"He knows the name of everyone; it's good because the young players are people like us and it's good for them to know that the manager knows them. I really like the manager."

No comments: