Thursday, May 02, 2013

Carragher Stand Firm On His Decision To Retire

Jamie Carragher believes that he has made the right decision swapping Anfield for the Sky Sports studio's next season.

The 35 year old announced his retirement in February bringing an end to his career at Liverpool, which also saw him win 38 caps for England.

Carragher admits to being aware of calls for him to play on for at least another year, but is adamant that the time is right to hang up his boots.

He told the Daily Mirror, "I'd been thinking for a while: How do you get out? How do you finish with Liverpool? And a quote I'd read years ago from a foreign player stuck with me: 'Leave the football before football leaves you'.

"I've always had that in the back of my mind. Especially as I've been at Liverpool all of my life and I never want to let the club or supporters down.

"I'm not stupid. New players will come in and at my age I could be back on the bench next season. There might even be games where I don't make the bench. Imagine walking around Anfield in a suit on a match day when you're fit to play.

"Of course there will be things I miss, like the great camaraderie in the dressing room after a good result, but I won't miss the bit where you've lost the game and you're devastated."

No comments: