Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spearing Unsure About His Future

Despite a broken toe that has kept him out of the lineup in recent weeks and would prevent him from taking part in the Championship playoff until at least the final should Bolton qualify, midfielder Jay Spearing is insistent that should the Wanderers make it that far he'll be in the lineup. Whether he's still in the lineup for them next season, though, remains up in the air despite recently being named player of the season by the Bolton Wanderers Supporters Association.

"I’d do anything to play a part in the final," he said. "If we get there, and I’m given a slight chance, I’d take it. When I heard the news that my toe was broken in three places I was absolutely devastated. But, hopefully, I can still do something. Any way I could be involved, as long as the gaffer wanted me to come back in—I’ll be there."

Spearing has made 36 starts for Bolton this season, scoring two goals and adding five assists as the energy man in Dougie Freedman's midfield. However, despite his positive impact, the Bolton manager has refused to be drawn into speculation concerning whether he will seek to keep Spearing on beyond the end of the season—and Spearing is similarly noncommittal.

"I’m not going to say yes or no at this point and it probably won’t be for me to decide," was Spearing's take on the matter. "The gaffer has got to want me in the first place, hasn’t he? But I’ll go away on holiday in the summer and then come back, sit down with Liverpool and with my agent to decide what happens."

Though his standing as a local prospect has always meant Liverpool fans have been eager to hope he might one day come good at Anfield, a regular role for Spearing in a side with Champions League aspirations remains unlikely. Whether his future is at the Reebok may still be up in the air, but it seems a near certainty that when he and his agent sit down with Liverpool over the summer, a return to his parent club won't be the alternative if it isn't.

No comments: