Friday, September 21, 2012

Shelvey Eyes United Start

Jonjo Shelvey hopes his late cameo in Liverpool's win over Young Boys will earn him a spot in the side to face Manchester United this weekend.

The young midfielder came off the bench to score twice to help Liverpool to a 5-3 victory in Berne in their opening Group A Europa League clash.

Shelvey earned the praise of Reds boss Brendan Rodgers after the game and the 20-year-old hopes he has given his manager food for thought ahead of the visit of arch-rivals Manchester United on Sunday.

"I hope I've played my way into the side for Sunday," Shelvey told the club's official website.

"I don't know what the manager is thinking regarding that game but since he came in the manager has been first class with me.

"He has given me opportunities and hopefully by coming off the bench and scoring two goals I repaid him.

"Games don't get any bigger than playing for Liverpool against Man United. It's what dreams are made of.

"The atmosphere at Anfield will be electric and I want to be a part of that."

No comments: