Friday, September 21, 2012

Sahin: I Play For The Biggest Team In England

The Nuri Sahin transfer saga went on for much of the summer but after shunning the advances of Arsenal and Tottenham, the former Borussia Dortmund captain believes he has signed for the biggest team in English football.

Liverpool have won 18 league titles, only bettered by Manchester United, and are the only English team to have won Europe's to club prize on five occasions, which is only bettered by Real Madrid and AC Milan.

Sahin spoke to NTVSpor at Liverpool's training ground Melwood, “I'd spoken with Jose Mourinho three times he wanted me to play in the Premier League but didn't refer to a specific team. I've chosen Liverpool because I wanted to play in a football team with a tradition.

“I played at one of the biggest clubs in Germany, Borussia Dortmund, and Real Madrid. And now, I play for the biggest club in England.”

Liverpool have not won a league title for 22 years and this type of recognition from a man who was in demand in the summer will be good news for the Liverpool fans and Sahin went on to laud his captain Steven Gerrard.

"He's a fantastic player and a captain,” Sahin continued. “He really takes care of the youngsters especially Raheem Sterling. I can learn many things from him. It's an honour to play alongside [him]."

No comments: