Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Scotland Option For Shelvey

Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey admits to having held talks with the Scottish FA about the prospect of turning out for them at international level.

The 20-year-old playmaker was born in England and has represented the Three Lions at youth level.

He could, however, switch allegiance as his grandfather was born in Scotland.

Shelvey concedes he is contemplating making himself available to Craig Levein, but insists he will not be rushed into making such a big decision.

Regular games at Anfield in the future could yet see him drafted into the senior England squad, and the youngster is reluctant to close that door.

"I have had a few meetings with the Scottish FA because my grandfather is from Edinburgh," said Shelvey.

"At the moment I'm concentrating on my club career. But if the time comes that I'm not playing for England then it is something I might not turn down.

"I am still young, only 20, so I don't have to make a decision yet."

No comments: