Friday, April 20, 2012

Kuyt Eyes FA Cup Final Goal

Dirk Kuyt is hopeful he can continue his knack of scoring in the big games when Liverpool take on Chelsea in next month's FA Cup final.

The Dutchman has already found the net in both finals the club have been involved in during his time at Anfield.

He scored late on in the 2007 UEFA Champions League final against AC Milan in Athens, although it wasn't enough to prevent the Italians gaining revenge for their defeat in Istanbul two years previously.

And his extra-time strike in February's Carling Cup then helped Kenny Dalglish's men overcome Championship side Cardiff on penalties.

Although he missed out in last weekend's semi-final against Everton, the 31-year-old has backed himself to perform when the big games come around.

"I am proud that, after the Champions League final and the final of the Carling Cup, for the third time I am with Liverpool in a final," the Dutchman said.

"I will do everything to ensure that in the third final I prove my worth with a goal."

Kuyt has found first-team starts harder to come by this season and did not even make it off the bench at Wembley on Saturday.

However, the former Feyenoord star feels he may still have a part to play against the West Londoners on 5th May.

"It is a disappointment that I did not play (against Everton)," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I expected to come on and you hope to be the first to come on but that was not to be.

"But there have been some important moments for me in the FA Cup, such as my goal against Manchester United (which was the late winner in round four)."

No comments: