Friday, April 20, 2012

Cole Hoping For Lille Stay

Joe Cole would welcome the opportunity to make his stay at Lille permanent, but concedes that any decision regarding his future rests with Liverpool.

The England international is edging towards the end of a season-long loan agreement with the reigning French champions.

Having been deemed surplus to requirements at Anfield, it appears unlikely that he will be drafted back into the Reds fold this summer.

Cole admits he would rather bring the curtain down on a forgettable spell on Merseyside, with a high-profile switch in 2010 having failed to live up to expectations.

The 30-year-old has enjoyed his time in Ligue 1 with Lille, with regular football rekindling his passion for the game, and he is waiting to learn what Liverpool has planned for him.

"I've not spoken to anyone at Liverpool," he said in the Liverpool Echo.

"I'm expecting a call from them. I would like to stay here, but it's still too early to say. Let's see how Lille finish the season.

"I am happy here, my family too.

"I was well received and I love this team. But it's not me who decides. We need to see what the board decides."

Cole insists money will not play a part in any decision regarding his future, with game time of greater importance to him at this stage of his career.

"The financial issue is important, but money is not the priority for me," he added.

"I enjoy being on the pitch and that's the main thing."

No comments: