Saturday, November 19, 2011

Poyet Defends Suarez Comment

Gus Poyet has refused to back down from defending Liverpool striker Luis Suarez over alleged racist comments made against Patrice Evra.

Suarez has been charged by the Football Association for remarks made to Evra in a 1-1 draw between Manchester United and Liverpool in October.

Poyet caused further controversy by claiming that Evra has been "crying like a baby" over the comments and is convinced that his fellow Uruguayan is innocent.

It came just days after FIFA president Sepp Blatter triggered outrage by insisting that there is no racism between players.

Liverpool have revealed that Suarez is to deny the charge at a personal hearing and he has received the backing of Brighton boss and former Uruguay midfielder Poyet.

He told TalkSPORT: "I know Luis very well and I will go to court if someone wants to prove he's not racist.

"I can assure you and everyone Luis is not a racist. We use different words and it is a different kind of situation.

"We live in Uruguay with plenty of people who have different colour skin. We all live together and play football together.

"What hurts me the most is that you accuse someone. Luis Suarez has been accused of being a racist."

The Seagulls manager is adamant that Suarez's words have been misunderstood due to language differences but was unable to clarify what has been said between the two players.

He added: "You are not racist when you go against one, but (you are) if you go against the whole world of different colour and nationalities. That is being racist, not saying one word in one moment.

"If that's what you want, fair enough. I take it and accept it. I had to behave in a different way because I've been in England for 13 years. So I know what you are like and I adapt to that.

"Give Suarez another six months and I think he'll be how you want him to be."

No comments: