Thursday, October 06, 2011

Wilson Eager To Bounce Back

Liverpool youngster Danny Wilson insists being dropped from Scotland's senior squad has only fuelled his desire to re-establish himself for both club and country.

After failing to win a first-team place at Anfield this season, Wilson has been left out of Scotland's crunch Euro 2012 qualifiers with Liechtenstein and Spain.

Manager Craig Levein called the youngster to give him the news after he found himself limited to just one appearance for the Reds, against Exeter in the Carling Cup, so far this season.

The 19-year-old, who will line up in a crucial Scotland Under-21s qualifier against Luxembourg on Thursday night, respects Levein's decision but is determined to put himself back in the mix.

He told the Daily Record: "If I was playing every week then I would be with the full squad. But I haven't been featuring at Anfield.

"Craig Levein has always been fair and included me earlier in the season when I wasn't playing.

"The manager didn't need to phone but showed what he's all about by calling. I was grateful and have no complaints.

"It doesn't mean its over. If anything it gives me a boost as I'm even more determined to get back up there.

"But I'm fortunate to be able to play with the Under-21s and will give my all while I'm here.

He added: "I was actually surprised to be in a few of the previous senior squads given my lack of action.

"The manager stuck by me but going into these two games he needs guys who are playing every week.

"Unfortunately I'm not one of them but I'm sure the guys in the squad are more than capable of doing the job."

Former Rangers defender Wilson has seen potential loan deals to Blackpool and Leeds fall through this term, but he refuses to be disheartened by his lack of playing time.

He added: "A couple of loan deals haven't quite happened. I just need to work hard at keeping my fitness up so I'm ready when the games do come along."

No comments: