Monday, July 25, 2011

Rush Backs Suarez & Carroll To Bring Success To Liverpool

Liverpool legend Ian Rush has backed Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez to forge a successful strike partnership and bring success to the club.

The duo joined the Reds in the January transfer window but Carroll's injury problems meant Suarez was often partnered by Dirk Kuyt or deployed as a lone striker.

But Rush, who enjoyed a partnership alongside Kenny Dalglish in attack during his time at Liverpool, insists the players can hit it off well and cause problems to opposing teams when they are paired together this season.

"I think if they can gel, which they should be able to, the partnership between Carroll and Suarez could be a really big thing," he said on the club's official website.

"It doesn't matter that they are from different backgrounds. Actually, Kenny and I didn't speak much off the pitch.

"I talk to him far more now than I ever did when we were playing together. We just fitted in because we had different skills.

"I had speed and could finish chances, and he had the most amazing football brain.

"I've watched Andy getting his fitness up to standard on the club's Far East tour and when Suarez gets back from international duty and the two start training together, I'm sure they'll build up a partnership.

"The potential is fantastic. Andy came to us with injuries last season, but in any case your first spell at a club like Liverpool is always an adjustment.

"People forget that I struggled a bit in my first season. But I've no doubt it will come right for him - and quickly, too."

No comments: