Monday, July 25, 2011

Downing and Henderson Insist There’s More To Come From Liverpool FC

New signings Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson believe there is much more to come after their Liverpool debut ended in disappointing defeat.

The Anfield outfit’s pre-season preparations suffered a setback when they were soundly beaten 3-0 at npower Championship side Hull City on Saturday.

Downing and Henderson, along with goalkeeper Alexander Doni, were all making their first appearances for the club following their arrivals during the transfer window.

Downing almost scored within three minutes of being introduced at half-time but was denied by a save from goalkeeper Adriano Basso.

And the former Aston Villa man said: “It could have been a dream debut. I thought it was in to be honest but it was a great save from the keeper.

“We created a lot of chances but just didn’t put them away – hopefully we’re saving that for the season.

“It’s been good training, I’ve enjoyed it up to now and it was nice to be out there. A disappointing result but pre-season is all about fitness.”

Of life at Liverpool, Downing added: “It’s brilliant so far. It’s a top football club and I’m getting looked after very well! Hopefully I can make an impact and do my best.

“I did a week at Aston Villa and a week here so I just want to get out there, get underway, get the debuts out of the way.”

Henderson arrived at Liverpool last month but sat out the recent tour to the Far East due to his involvement in the UEFA European Under-21 championships.

And he said: “I feel part of it now. It was a little bit frustrating watching them on the telly but it was good to have a rest.

“It wasn’t a good result but that’s what pre-season is about and we’ll learn from our mistakes.

“I think I’ve settled in well so far and hopefully I can keep doing so.”

Dalglish believes the duo, along with goalkeeper Doni, are settling in well at Anfield but will not be happy with their first experience in a Liverpool shirt.

“They’re very comfortable,” said the manager. “It’s an easy place to come and settle, it’s very welcoming, but they’ll not be too satisfied getting back on the bus after that.”

No comments: