Monday, April 04, 2011

Selection Headache For Segura

Pep Segura admits he faces a selection headache as Liverpool Reserves head to Villa Park to take on Aston Villa tonight.

With Rodolfo Borrell's U18s also in action against Manchester United today, Segura will not be able to call on the Academy starlets for the trip to the Midlands - a match you can watch live on LFC TV and LFC TV Online tonight from 6.30pm.

Segura told Liverpoolfc.tv: "This is a difficult situation for us because in the last games we have used players from the Academy like Toni Silva, Stephen Sama, Adam Hajdu and Henoc Mukendi, but I won't be using them in this game.

"We must protect the U18s because they also have a chance of winning their league so for that reason I respect that.

"The U18s have a difficult game against Manchester United and I will help Rodolfo Borrell with this.

"Okay, I would like to have the best players available for my team but the most important thing is the club and making good decisions, not selfish ones."

Villa's second string is managed by former Anfield double winner Kevin MacDonald and play in the Southern section of the Barclays Premier Reserve League.

They started the year with an incredible 10-1 win over Arsenal and Segura knows they have a talented side.

"Aston Villa will be a tough game for us, but also for them," he added.

"It was a strange result to see them beat Arsenal 10-1 because it is not a logical one, but what I do know is Villa are a good team with some good players.

"I am expecting a difficult game but what I want to see from my players is a good performance in every game.

"They all need to understand their responsibility on the pitch and keep their concentration for the whole 90 minutes.

"Winning is always fantastic but it's how you win that is important.

"If we win a game and we don't play well then I can't be happy. I need to say to the team that wasn't good enough and we must improve.

"I have been pleased with the players in our last two league games. We were unlucky to lose at Arsenal and then we played very well against Everton.

"The spirit and character of the team was very good and they have trained well. I need to help the players to grow and get to a level when they can be ready for the first team. This is my job."

Segura also explained his reasoning behind changing Steven Irwin's position from a full-back role to playing just off the striker.

He added: "We understand this is a new position for Steven to what he is normally used to.

"I needed to change a few things and this is a position I believe he can play in and he has done well in this position."

With four games remaining in the Barclays Premier Reserve League North Group B, Segura's side are six points behind leaders Blackburn with two games in hand.

There is still a chance Liverpool could win a 19th reserve league title, but that is not the Spaniard's main focus.

He said: "Our idea is game by game and I like to win always, but I need to understand also what is my job here.

"My job first is to help the players and get them ready so they can play for the first team.

"When I was at Barcelona with the U18s we won the league and cup in the same season and I said to the players this is not important. What is important is how many players from that side get to the first team.

"Winning is fantastic and makes me very happy but the players need to understand they must work hard every day if they want to get to the first team.

"If we were to win the reserve league it would be fantastic but I prefer to see the players grow. If we can do both then, fantastic."

No comments: