Monday, April 04, 2011

Alonso Is Still A Liverpool Fan And Wants His Son To Be Too

World Cup-winning Real Madrid star Xabi Alonso has revealed that he intends to bring up his son as a Liverpool supporter.

The midfielder left Anfield for the Bernabeu in 2009 but admits that he still retains a soft-spot for the club and considers himself a Liverpool fan.

'I am still a Liverpool fan and will be forever, absolutely,' Alonso said.

'The things that I have lived and the experiences I had during those five years are deep in my heart and the passion and respect I had for the club and its supporters are still the same.

'Hopefully I can transmit to my son what Liverpool Football Club means and how special it is, as he was born in the city and he will visit it in the future.'

Alonso, 29, has enjoyed a highly successful career so far - winning the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and the World Cup with Spain in 2010 - and he will be hoping to beat Tottenham in Madrid on Tuesday night.

Alonso still follows Liverpool closely and he has impressed by their recent up-turn in form since Kenny Dalglish took charge.

He said: 'I think they have regained their confidence and despite being knocked out of the Europa League (by Braga) their form in the Premier League has improved a lot.

'I think they can rebuild a competitive team, especially as it looks like there is now stability at the club again. Now they have to think about the sport side and create a plan for the following years.'

No comments: