Thursday, September 02, 2010

Paul Konchesky Looking To Achieve Big Things With Roy Hodgson At Liverpool

Liverpool new boy Paul Konchesky has revealed that he felt that the chance to move to Anfield from Fulham was too good to turn down.

The left-back signed a four-year deal for the Reds on transfer deadline day, moving for a reported £4 million from Craven Cottage.

Now he is targeting trophies as he looks forward to linking up with his former gaffer once again.

"I'm very excited to be here. I can't wait to get started and I'm really looking forward to the challenge," the 29-year-old told his new club's official website.

"I know what the manager is about and he knows what I am about. I had a great time with him at Fulham for two-and-a-half years. He did really well for Fulham and hopefully we can have great success at Liverpool and we can achieve bigger and better things.
"I want to win silverware. I believe this club is capable of doing that and hopefully we can start this year."

Konchesky also revealed that once the Reds had come calling it was not a difficult decision to make to join them.

"No, not when a club like Liverpool comes in for you," he said.

"You look at the background and history they have got and they are one of the most famous names in football.

"It also helped me with the manager being here who I know well. When Liverpool came in for me it was an easy choice."

The former England international knows all about Liverpool's history and tradition and is looking forward to following in the footsteps of some of the club's true greats.

"Yes of course and I know they have had some fantastic players over the years like Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes," he added.

"I played with John at Charlton when I was a kid so I know a lot about the club from him. He used to talk about Liverpool and he spoke to the young players at Charlton about the history and background of the club. He has a lot of respect for this club and he was a big player here.

"I have played against Liverpool at Anfield and the crowd are always fantastic towards their team and give them great support. I am looking forward to playing in front of them for Liverpool."

Meanwhile, Konchesky also revealed that he could make his debut in a red shirt as early as this weekend, when a Liverpool XI take on an Everton XI in Jamie Carragher's testimonial.

"I am looking forward to playing in Jamie's testimonial and it will be a great day for him," he stated.

"It will be nice to play in front of the Kop as a Liverpool player for the first time and it will help me get used to it and I can just go out and enjoy it.

"I've got a lot of respect for Jamie and what he's achieved at this club.

"He has been at Liverpool for a long while. For someone to do that, especially at this great club, you've got to have something about you.

"He's a great character and he is also someone you can look up to.

"If ever you need someone to look to and get advice then you should look up to Jamie. He's a great professional and he does everything how it should be done."

No comments: