Thursday, September 02, 2010

Asamoah Gyan: I Was Right To Reject Liverpool For Sunderland

Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan has said he is "pleased" to be at Sunderland after making a transfer deadline day move, despite rumours Liverpool attempted to scupper the bid at the last minute.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson is known to have asked around about several strikers on deadline day - including West Ham's Carlton Cole and Fulham's Bobby Zamora.

And sources close to the Gyan deal suggest the former Cottagers boss even looked into the possibility of gazumping the Black Cats during the slow-moving talks with Rennes on Tuesday afternoon.

However, speaking after confirming his move to Sunderland for a reported club-record fee of £13million, Gyan said Steve Bruce's persistence had persuaded him to pick Sunderland.

"The Sunderland coach has faith in me because he has been following me for two years now," he said.

"My family is in England already and I am happy this is the right place for me.

"I am pleased I have the opportunity to come to the Premier League."

Hodgson's search for a second striker to play alongside Fernando Torres proved fruitless, meaning the Reds will need to rely on Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, and David Ngog to provide support to the injury-prone Spaniard.

No comments: