Thursday, September 02, 2010

Javier Mascherano Promises To Reveal Truth Behind Liverpool Departure

Javier Mascherano has warned Roy Hodgson that he will reveal the truth behind the "lies" that surrounded his departure from Anfield – and admitted his £17m move to Barcelona was a year overdue. He also insisted there was never an offer on the table for him to join Rafa Benítez at Internazionale.

Mascherano was reported to have refused to play against Manchester City as he sought to force through a move to Spain, with Hodgson accusing him of being "selfish". But at his Barça unveiling, he said: "Roy Hodgson knows the truth. This is a happy moment for me so now is not the time to say it, but a lot of lies has been told about me and I will respond to them.

"Last year Liverpool would not let me leave. There was no way they would sell me. They had Xabi Alonso and me, and they would only let Xabi leave," said the 26‑year‑old.

"I was disappointed not to be able to sign last season. When the best club in the world calls you, then it is something that you want to happen. I have signed for the only club who really wanted me. In no moment did I ever think that Inter was a possibility. Rafa valued me and perhaps that is why people started saying that I could go there but this is the only club that pushed to sign me."

But Mascherano was keen too to rebuild bridges with fans at Liverpool, with whom he spent three seasons. "I hope they get back into the Champions League as soon as possible. I still have a lot of affection for the fans of the club and I always will."

No comments: