Monday, September 06, 2010

Konchesky Ready For Reds Challenge

Paul Konchesky reflected on his first appearance in a Liverpool shirt and insisted: "I can't wait for the real action to begin."

The Liverpool defender, who completed his transfer from Fulham to Anfield on deadline day last week, enjoyed a second half run-out for the Reds in Jamie Carragher's testimonial on Saturday afternoon as Roy Hodgson's men cruised to a 4-1 victory.

But now he's focusing on the real action which lies ahead - starting next weekend when he could be in line for his full debut at Birmingham.

"I'm 29 and this is my last chance to play at the highest level," said the 29-year-old. "That is what Liverpool are and I am really looking forward to it.

"I'm looking forward to getting a new lease of life and playing at a very high standard.

"I can't wait to pull on a Liverpool shirt in the Premier League, it is a massive club and it is a big step for me. I just want to give it my all and go from there.

"I've had three or four days' training and although there have not been a lot of players there it has been a good week and I am hopefully going to enjoy it soon.

"It was good to be involved in Jamie's testimonial and put a Liverpool shirt on."

He added: "You look at the history they have got behind them it is unbelievable and there are some great players here," he added.

"If we can bring that back to the side this year in something like the Europa League then this team can go a long way.

"The testimonial was a bit slower than the Premier League but it was good for Jamie.

"I'm glad all the players came back for him; they obviously respect him a lot and he is well respected within the team. He looks fit and I think he has a few more years left in him - and hopefully it will be at Liverpool."

No comments: