Monday, September 06, 2010

Jay Out To Repay Hodgson Faith

Jay Spearing has spoken of his determination to impress Roy Hodgson after being named in Liverpool's 21-man squad for the Barclays Premier League.

For the 2010-11 season, top-flight clubs must register a squad of up to 25 players for league games, which must include at least eight 'home grown' players and no more than 17 'non home grown' players.

Liverpool's No.26 is delighted to be in the list and he is more determined than ever to show what he is capable of and try and keep a regular place in the squad.

"I'm really enjoying working under the manager and he has been really good to me," Spearing told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"I have been working really hard in training and it's going very well so I've just got to keep it going.

"The manager has said he is pleased with what I have done so far and he just told me to keep it up and keep working hard.

"I've been involved in every squad this season, whether it be on the bench or 19th man and that has given me a lot of confidence.

"It's good to be around the squad and with the lads and hopefully I will get another chance to show what I can do.

"Every day is up to me. There is no-one else that can do it and I have to prove to myself, the boss and the fans that I am capable of playing in these games, and when that day comes I've got to grab it."

The Wirral born midfielder spent the second part of last season on loan in the Championship at Leicester City and he helped them reach the Play-off semi-finals when they lost on penalties to Cardiff City.

Spearing admits it was a spell that has given him a lot of belief.

"Playing for Leicester was a massive confidence boost for myself and I enjoyed the experience of playing in front of 30,000 people every week for their home games," he added.

"It's given me the fight to try and show I can step up to play for Liverpool."

No comments: