Saturday, July 17, 2010

Roy Hodgson: Wantaway Midfielder Javier Mascherano Has Refused To Return My Telephone Calls

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has admitted Javier Mascherano has blanked his telephone calls as the midfielder angles for a move to Inter.

The Argentina captain, who led his side to a quarter-final exit at this summer's World Cup, has been linked with a reunion with ex-Reds supremo Rafael Benitez at the San Siro all summer. These rumours follow his attempts last year to engineer a transfer to Spanish giants Barcelona.

Speaking to reporters on the club's pre-season tour to Switzerland, Hodgson brushed off the hard man's refusal to make contact with him.

"I've tried to contact him. I've left him voice messages and text messages but I haven't had a reply," Hodgson said.

"That's because, to be fair, he had a very tough World Cup and went back to Argentina, I guess, it's not always as easy to get back in touch.

"I've tried to reach him and made it clear to him I'm very happy to talk to him at his convenience but as of yet we've not had that conversation."

The former Fulham boss also blanked quotes from Mascherano's agent that declared his client's desire to make the switch to Inter.

He responded: "As far as I know we've had no approach from Inter and I don't understand where those quotes come from."

No comments: