Friday, April 30, 2010

Ryan Babel Blames Outside Influences For His Mistakes At Liverpool


Liverpool forward Ryan Babel admits he allowed himself to be affected by influences which ruined his game and almost forced him out of the club.

The Holland international was a bit-part player midway through the season and found an outlet for his frustrations through his personal Twitter page.

That prompted a personal rebuke from manager Rafael Benítez and with Birmingham reportedly having a £9 million bid turned down, it appeared the Dutchman was heading for a January exit.

However, a meeting between Benítez, Babel and his agent straightened things out and since then the player has started to show glimpses of the form which persuaded Liverpool to pay £11 million for him in July 2007.

"I think the turning point was that I could focus on the football and not rumours and different sayings of people and the media.

"For every young player it is difficult to focus 100% when you know you are the subject of something that can influence your game.

"During that period people were telling me negative and positive things and that made me think about different things and you cannot concentrate on football.

"When you read in one paper that Liverpool want to get rid of you – even though you know it is not true – it is those little things which confuse you.

"I was not close to leaving but it was one of those things that did not make me concentrate 100%.''

Of Benítez's pep talk he added: "It is a situation where both sides have to work with each other. It has given me confidence recently and I'm now trying to give something back.

"Liverpool have confidence in me and I have confidence in Liverpool."

Babel lays some of his self-doubt and insecurity at the feet of his father, a hard taskmaster by all accounts.

"I am very self-critical, that is how I have been raised," he added. "I have a very difficult father who is always looking at points where I can improve.

"Sometimes that is annoying because you come off the pitch with a good feeling and he still comes with points that could be better.

"I only want to improve more. I think it is clear how my career has been so far but I'm confident for the future so, as long as I can concentrate on football, the best will definitely come."

No comments: