Friday, April 30, 2010

McLeish Plans Birmingham Stay


Alex McLeish has spelt out his desire to remain as Birmingham manager for "at least" the next two seasons.

McLeish insists he is in no great rush to put pen to paper on a new deal. The former Scotland boss has been linked with a move to Liverpool should Rafael Benitez end his term at Anfield in the summer.

But he is happy with life at St Andrew's where he has guided Blues to promotion and a top-10 position in the Premier League in successive seasons.

"We haven't really sat down and got into (the contract) as such," he said. "There has been no real hurry for it. There are still two games to go. We are not into May yet.

"There is plenty of time. People outside seem to be more anxious about getting it done. The club and I are relaxed about it.

"I don't see any reason why I've got to leave. If you are talking about me being linked with big clubs, it is nice that my name is mentioned, but these clubs will be going for names of maybe people who have been a little bit more successful than me in the game.

"I've had some success but maybe they are looking at a different kind of level, European success, English titles, things like that. At the moment I am concentrating on Birmingham, certainly for this season and the next couple of years at least."

No comments: