Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reds On Huntelaar Alert

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is ready to quit AC Milan to save his hopes of playing for Holland at the World Cup.

Arsenal and Liverpool will no doubt be alerted by the 26-year-old's concerns as they look to add to their attacking options.

And both Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United have made moves for Huntelaar in the past.

The striker is concerned that his Holland place is in doubt as he has started just four of Milan's 19 Serie A matches this season.

Huntelaar has scored just three times since a £15million summer move to the San Siro from Real Madrid.

'I'm thinking of leaving,' he said. 'When I spoke with (Milan) officials, they comforted me and said they have faith in me. I played a little more, but I want more.

'It's important for me because, as our national team coach explained to me, to go with the national team it's important to play a lot for your club.

'I would like to stay in an important league to show I can be a player for Milan. I'd like to be loaned and then come back.'

A loan deal could suit Arsenal, who are a striker light since Robin van Persie ruptured ankle ligaments in the autumn - an injury that could rule him out till the end of the season.

Liverpool also want short-term cover for Fernando Torres, though they are at an advanced stage to take Kenwyne Jones from Sunderland.

Spurs tried to sign Huntelaar in the summer and may revive a deal if injury concerns scupper a move for Real Madrid striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

No comments: