Thursday, January 21, 2010

Liverpool Skipper Steven Gerrard Denies Bust-Up With Rafael Benitez


Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has laughed off rumours linking him with a move away from the club following an alleged row with Rafael Benitez at half-time during the FA Cup loss to Reading.

'Captain Fantastic' has set things straight by pledging allegiance to the Kop, while explaining that the team had a "good laugh" over the 'speculation' concerning his future at Anfield.

"I've heard about a dozen versions of the same rumour and they're all as daft as each other," Gerrard is quoted in The Mirror as saying.

"I'd love to know who comes up with this kind of stuff because they must have an unbelievable imagination.

"And if anyone thinks this nonsense unsettles either me or the club then they're mistaken. If anything it's brought everyone even closer together because we've all had a good laugh about it."

He added: "In the time since he's been here I've never had a problem with the manager or his staff, and certainly not at half-time in the Reading game when I was actually receiving treatment for the injury I'd picked up during the first half."

The England international is currently sidelined and is hoping to get back into action at the earliest opportunity.

Gerrard continued: "The important thing for me now is trying to get myself fit as soon as possible so I can get back to working with the manager and the team to try and improve our situation.

"All the stories about me leaving are unfounded. The fans can be assured that I am doing all I can to get back to top form and help Liverpool finish the season on a high."

No comments: