Saturday, August 22, 2009

Liverpool's Lucas Leiva Weary Of Media Attention

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has revealed that he is beginning to feel weary of the spotlight after taking centre-stage following Xabi Alonso's transfer to Real Madrid.

"Every time I speak to anyone they always ask me to try to find out how I am playing," Lucas told the Liverpool Daily Post.

"But when the team play well it helps everyone.

"I’m just trying to do my best for the team. I want to do well for myself, but the first thing is to help the team win.

"I’m playing well and training well, doing things in the right way, so now I just have to keep going."

The 22-year-old reiterated that Alonso's departure to Spain does not mean that he will fill the role of the pass-master.

"Some people have said ‘Lucas might fill Xabi’s boots’," he continued.

"But his departure doesn’t mean that. It is an opportunity for a few players.

"The boss has options. He can use Stevie [Steven Gerrard] in midfield or [Alberto] Aquilani when he’s fit, or maybe me or Jay Spearing. Nothing is guaranteed."

The rising star then went on to speak of the game against Stoke City at Anfield, where the hosts ran out 4-0 victors.

"We knew they would defend a lot and Rafa [Rafael Benitez] said to me to play a little bit higher, so that Javier [Mascherano] can get the ball and I can get forward more often," he said.

"Playing higher up is the key to beating the smaller teams, who just come to defend."

The 1-0 defeat suffered by Manchester United at Turf Moor against Burnley suggested that this year could see the Premier League title being a tightly fought contest.

"I am sure United, Chelsea and Arsenal will be strong at home and we have to be too," remarked the former Gremio player.

"It will again be a difficult competition to win but we know we have the quality to do that [win the Premier League]."

No comments: