Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Torres Planning Long Reds Stay


Fernando Torres has pledged his long-term future to Liverpool despite reports in Spain that Barcelona are weighing up a big-money move.

Speaking ahead of Spain's friendly with England on Wednesday, Torres insists he is happy to stay at Anfield and cannot imagine himself playing for "any other team".

He said: "I don't see myself playing for Real Madrid, or Barcelona or Chelsea or any other team.

"I see myself playing for Liverpool. I have a long contract and that's that."

Meanwhile, Torres is hopeful he is finally over the injury problems that have blighted his season so far.

"This year what I am more worried about are injuries," added Torres. "I have had many problems since last summer but I hope I will be okay now until the end of the season."

The 24-year-old is also wishing Reds team-mate Steven Gerrard a speedy recovery from his hamstring problem and hopes he could return to action for the Champions League clash with Real Madrid later this month.

"Hopefully Steven Gerrard will be okay too," said Torres. "He's a special player and a vital part of our team and we need him fit again soon.

"I don't know how long it will take for his leg to heal, but we wish him the best and hope we can have him back as quick as possible.

"If it is in time for the Champions League game with Real Madrid even better."

No comments: