Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ian Rush: Rafa Benitez Had Perfect Response To Silence Liverpool's Critics

The vultures were circling the second Liverpool’s team-sheet was announced on Saturday night.

But Rafa had the perfect response with a massively important three points.

Like almost everybody else in the country, I was surprised when I saw so many influential names left on the substitutes’ bench.

I would be lying if I said otherwise.

But unlike perhaps plenty of pundits, I also had some sympathy with Rafa’s team selection, because I’ve been in exactly the same position as Fernando Torres.

I wasn’t sure about leaving Dirk Kuyt on the bench, because he looks like he could play about five matches every week and still not suffer.

But resting Torres was totally understandable.

He’s still feeling his way back from injury, he was clearly shattered on Wednesday night and the trip to Portsmouth came less than 72 hours later.

By introducing him when he did, Rafa ensured that Torres would be operating on a level playing field with the Portsmouth defenders.

Kenny Dalglish did exactly the same thing with me in the 1989 FA Cup final.

I’d been injured and had only made half a dozen substitute appearances before the cup final.

I thought I could start at Wembley.

I told Kenny I was fit.

I was desperate to kick-off against Everton, but he decided my energy levels weren’t up to what was required and left me on the bench.

In the end Kenny did the right thing.

If I’d started the match I probably wouldn’t have been able to do anything.

But when I came on my energy levels were at the same levels as the Everton defenders and I was able to make an impact.

It was the same with Torres at Portsmouth.

If he’d played from the start, when the Portsmouth defenders were fresh, he’d have been tired when the game started to open up in the last third and probably unable to take advantage of the opportunity which came his way.

As it was, he was sharp enough to find the opening and finish it in style just when it mattered the most.

It was good management, because the end result says so.

Just like Kenny got it right back in 1989.

No comments: