Saturday, October 11, 2008

Steven Gerrard Will Be Let Off Leash Against Kazakhstan

Steven Gerrard will finally be let off the leash at Wembley today and given a chance to prove he is England's Mr Fantastic.

England boss Fabio Capello yesterday spelt out a clear message that he is determined to get the best out of Liverpool captain Gerrard - and prove that he can play alongside Frank Lampard.

Capello says he can solve the conundrum which has bamboozled previous bosses Steve McClaren and Sven Goran Eriksson, who both refused to give up on the Gerrard-Lampard midfield axis, despite mixed results.

Chelsea midfielder Lampard admitted earlier this week that his partnership with Gerrard has not worked regularly for England and was partly to blame for them not reaching Euro 2008.

Gerrard has also been left frustrated, claiming that he has only played in his favourite position just five times in 68 games for England.

Gerrard has - despite Capello saying otherwise - started four times under the Italian and has played all over midfield. That has certainly helped restrict Gerrard, who has consistently struggled to reach the heights for England despite becoming irreplaceable for Liverpool while establishing a reputation as one of the best midfielders in the world.

Gerrard may even count himself lucky that injury to Joe Cole meant that Capello was unable to keep the winning team which thrashed Croatia in Zagreb last month, when the Liverpool midfielder was out injured.

But Gerrard's return has once again left Capello facing the old dilemma as to whether Gerrard and Lampard can play together.

And despite all their failings in the past, Capello insists that he is the man to make it work.

Furthermore, Capello also says that he will play Gerrard in his best position against Kazakhstan - even though he would not say exactly what that is.

Capello says today's World Cup qualifier at Wembley is a new beginning for Gerrard.

And the coach has almost made it his personal challenge to ensure that England get the best out of arguably their most naturally-gifted player. Capello said last night: "I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player.

"He has played with me in three games so far and, tomorrow, I think you will see the position Gerrard plays because it'll be a very important position on the field.

"Yes, it is his long-term position. It depends on the games, always. And the opponents. Sometimes he can play in one position, sometimes in another.

"But I think I know the best position for Gerrard. You will see (tomorrow).

"For me he can play in two or three positions. But, it depends on the game which one he plays in.

I didn't read his comments and I don't know how many games he's played exactly.

"But he's only played three times with me. I hope that three of these five games were with me!

"He played where I think it's better for him, always. I try, throughout my career, my style is to put the players in the best position for them to play better and at 100 per cent in the team."

The Gerrard and Lampard axis has not worked in the past and has become a tired old problem for England. But Capello insists he is the man to make it work and says Gerrard and the in-form Chelsea man are good enough to play together, although that seems a rather familiar argument.

Capello added: "I hope so. But, also, I'm sure that fantastic players have to play together, in my opinion. I don't know why they haven't worked before.

"I think, with me, they've played only three or two games together. The past is not my problem. I think about the future.

"He has to play like when he plays with Liverpool, the same. He's one of the 11 players on the pitch.

"We win and we lose together, always. He's an important player, for sure, but he's only one of the 11."

No comments: