Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fabio Capello: ‘Steven Gerrard Is Hub Of England Team’

FABIO CAPELLO has vowed to build his England revolution around Steven Gerrard – starting against Kazakhstan this afternoon.

Gerrard is expected to play an integral role as the Italian’s team aim to continue their 100% start to their World Cup qualifying group six at Wembley.

The Liverpool midfielder missed the 4-1 victory in Croatia last month through injury, prompting talk of the 28-year-old being left on the bench with Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry having impressed in central midfield in Zagreb.

But Capello has revealed Gerrard will step straight back into the team for his 69th cap in a role the England coach envisions as the player’s long-term position.

“I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player,” said Capello yesterday. “For tomorrow, I think you will see Gerrard in a very important position on the field, his long-term position.

“Of course, it depends on the games and the opponents, and he can play in two or three positions. But I think I know the best position for Gerrard and you will see tomorrow.”

Gerrard will today once again be asked to work in tandem with Lampard, leaving Barry taking responsibility for defensive duties in midfield.

And Capello thinks he has found a way to solve the puzzle of why two world-class talents have seemed so ill-at-ease together.

“Yes, I hope so,” said the Italian. “But, also, I’m sure that fantastic players have to play together, in my opinion. I don’t know why they haven’t worked before.

“I think, with me, they’ve played only three or two games together. The past is not my problem. I think about the future. I’ve experienced things like this in the past a lot of times. At Milan, Juventus and sometimes in Madrid. It was always with the forwards, not with the midfielders.

“But it’s not a problem for me. I prefer good players. I prefer to have good players. I prefer to have players of this quality.”

Gerrard has been employed by club manager Rafael Benitez either in an attacking role behind Fernando Torres or in his preferred role of orthodox central midfielder.

Last month, the player estimated that he has only been used in his favoured position on five occasions while with his country.

But Capello said: “I didn’t read about him talking about not playing in his favourite position, but he’s always played for me as a midfielder. I hope that three of these five games were with me!

“I always play him where I think it’s better for him.

“Throughout my career, my style is to put the players in the best position for them to play better and at 100% in the team.

“He has to play like when he plays with Liverpool.”

No comments: