Friday, October 17, 2008

Liverpool Defender Nearing Return From Injury

Liverpool defender Phillipp Degen has revealed that he is nearing a return to the Liverpool first team after recovering from broken ribs and a punctured lung, which he sustained in September.

The 25 year-old signed on a Bosman from Borussia Dortmund over the summer and was expected to challenge Alvaro Arbeloa for a spot in the Liverpool defence.

However, injury has limited the Switzerland international to a single appearance for the club. During his one competitive start for the Reds, Degen suffered broken ribs and a lung puncture in the Carling Cup tie against Crewe Alexandria.

He has been out of contention since then as Liverpool have surged up the Premier League table and impressed in the Champions League.

Degen is now only weeks away from competing with Arbeloa for the right-back berth, and he is confident of pushing for a starting place.

He insists that the pain has cleared away and he is ready to put his recent injury woes behind him.

He told Liverpool's official website: "I hope I can soon be 100 per cent. I want to get on the pitch as quickly as possible - maybe it will be in the next one or two weeks.

"Last week it was not so good. I was in a lot of pain but at the moment I'm training very well. I had two fractured ribs and a punctured lung.

"It's been very tough. I just want to play for this club and in front of these fans.

"This is new to me. I had an injury for six months before I came to Liverpool, but up until that point I'd never been injured. I was the type of player who played every game.

"I hope the injuries are over now."

He went on: "I have to work hard every day and show the boss (Rafa Benitez) what I can do. We have a lot of games so I can play my part.

"I am different to Alvaro. I am maybe more offensive and so it's not a direct comparison. But first I have to get fit and do well in training - then we will see."

No comments: